Howto:A Simple Recording Solution On-Top of The innovaphone Voicemail
This information applies to
- innovaphone PBX V9 and later
This article explains how a simple recording solution could be set up on-top of an innovaphone Voicemail (VM).
Please note, that this recording solution is exemplary and free. It can be adapted in such, that it doesn't require the VM. It consists of 3 parts:
- Recording of the conversation. This is done by the record.xml script and doesn't need voicemail licenses.
- Listen to recorded conversations by phone. This is done by using the voicemail script and therefore needs voicemail licenses.
- Send recorded conversations by mail. This is done by using the email.xml script and doesn't need voicemail licenses.
As a result, if you want only to listen to the recorded messages on your PC/by mail, then voicemail licenses are not needed.
The recording mode itself (manual, automatic and optional) be done in the mode as described in: Reference:Configuration/Registration/Recording
The recording stores G.711a files into the "stored messages"-area of a user's voicebox. Recorded messages can be listened to by calling a user's voicebox and by proceeding into the main menu option 2 for stored messages.
Please be informed, that recording usually requires the agreement of the calling peer and as such must be indicated to the peer. Please note that the file note.xxx contains the advising file played at the beginning of the recording. You can replace the note-files with own announcements. Make sure to convert them and put them on the CF. If you don’t like to play anything just delete those files.
By default, the email notification is disabled. If you want to enable it, remove comments for the event type="call-end" in the record.xml file and change the following in email.xml:
<assign out="$file" value=""/>
<assign out="$file" value="$vm"/>
The standard email.xml file of the voicemail package is used for sending the mails, so the same limitation and troubleshooting applies.
The outline for the following configuration scenario shall be as follows:
- The VM is pre-installed on a CompactFlash card and is available at the number 66.
- The configured URL for the VM is http://127.0.0.1/drive/CF0/vm/vm.xml.
- An IP phone 49:Klaus may exist.
- Klaus has a voicebox configured which is available at http://127.0.0.1/drive/CF0/vm/Klaus/
- The recording solution requires an additional voicemail object, which shall be available as 67:vm-record.
- copy the solution files (record.xml and note.xxx) into the VM directory, such that record.xml resides in the same directory of the VM's vm.xml and becomes HTTP-available as http://127.0.0.1/drive/CF0/vm/record.xml.
Create a new Voicemail Object at Administration/PBX/Objects/New
- Enter vm-record as Long Name and Name.
- Enter 67 as Number
- Enter http://127.0.0.1/drive/CF0/vm/record.xml as URL.
Browse to the phone's Web UI: Configuration/RegistrationX/Recording
- As Mode enter manual. (or transparent if all calls should be recorded)
- As Number enter 67.
- Flag "Two Way Media" option.
A possibility to record only calls from/to specific numbers is implemented in the version 1001. Therefore the calling numbers can be placed in the sub-folder numbers as files containing the calling number in the file name (e.g. 072234567).
To enable this function edit the script and change the value of the variable selective_recording to true.
<assign out="selective_recording" value="true"/>
Klaus is engaged in a call.
- During the call press the redial-button. The phone's display should now indicate something like "Recording".
After the call has been finished Klaus calls his voicebox 6649. He enters main menu option 2. The recorded message should now be among the stored messages.
The voice files have the following format:
<Username> = separate directory for each user <Record> = fix text field <cdpn> = extension which did the recording <cgpn> = the remote party <date> = system (PBX) date
Extension 37 did voice recording, the far partner was extension 24, date 01.08.2009 at 09:03, the first record in this minute.
Please note that the date and time format always has the format DD.MM.JJJJ and hh:mm. The file name of course must be unique. In the rare occasion that a user would start a second recording with the same remote party in the same minute (for example if he is toggling with the recording key), an incremental number is added.
Record_37-24-31.07.2009-13.58_1.g711a Record_37-24-31.07.2009-13.58_2.g711a Record_37-24-31.07.2009-13.58_3.g711a
Normally all recordings will end with “_1”.
Please feel free to modify the xml, for example using other separators.
The system sends the e-mail at the end of the conversation to the mail system. If the mail-system is down or not reachable, the e-mail gets lost. Please note that you can find the records anyway on the CF in the user folder. Since the records are not deleted after the mail is sent, you must delete them manually or adjust the xml script.
This solution is not working anymore with V13 VM or the actual VM script! Because the actual vm stores all in the user directory with the "h323" name, die script uses the "cn" name as store-place!
- Download the complete file package of scripts and files described in this article.
How to Configure the innovaphone Voicemail